We laughed, we danced, we played, we opened presents, we ate ice cream and gluten-free birthday cake ( click here for the best Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Recipe , it literally is so good.) And of course, watched Shrek.
Jakson’s first birthday was such a fun time. We celebrated a day early because his birthday was on a Monday, and invited our closest friends to join us. As expected I cried all day because WHERE THE HECK DID THE TIME GO?! I swear it was just yesterday that my baby was 4 lbs and had to be fed through a tube. And now he is close to 20 lbs, has grown nearly a foot since his birth, and is eating basically anything he can find. (This isn’t always a good thing…) The last year has been the best, most tiring and difficult year of my life; but also the most rewarding. I have changed into a different person entirely because of the challenges that my little one has brought to me and from the very moment I saw him, he has flipped my world upside down. I can’t say enough what a blessing he has been. (Here come the water works again 😭) Besides the cake and ice cream, Jakson’s birthday was more of a mental hurdle. It was realizing that my baby is transitioning into toddlerhood right before my eyes, and I’m just trying to chase him around and capture all these moments before I blink again and another year goes by. So in honor of his first trip around the sun, here are a few things I never want to forget about Jakson at one year old:
- He loves our dogs. Like seriously loves them, and barks at them every morning when he hears their nails clicking across the floor to our bedroom. Actually… he barks at them everytime he sees or hears them at all. ITS THE CUTEST DANG THING
- He laughs when he toots
- Most mornings he wakes up before I do, and sucks on my face and giggles and basically uses me as a jungle gym until I wake up.
- He tries to share everything with everyone.
- He practically jumps out of my arms to get into the bath
- Being naked is his favorite. (Hence the obsession with bath time.)
- He likes to have his ears cleaned with q-tips and starts falling asleep everytime I do it
- He loves massages
- Climbing in the dishwasher has become a daily occurrence, and he cries when I shut it :’)
- His favorite food is spaghetti and meatballs
- Jakson is sooooo shy! He literally won’t let anyone hold him that he doesn’t know, even my sister (who lives far away and only sees him every few months) and hides his face in my hair when he gets embarrassed
- Something about being out in public brings him out of his shell and he says “hi” to everyone he sees at the grocery store…
- Speaking of talking, Jaks can say: mama, hi, hewwo, baddog (to our pup, Snuffy, when he takes his food) and more than anything he BARKS
- I have never seen a kid who loves Shrek as much as Jakson. He knows when they are going to start clapping and claps before they do, it is so cute. We watch Shrek almost every day before his nap because 1. we usually need a break by then, and 2. It’s the only thing that he’ll sit still for
- He doesn’t have any teeth yet, but has been teething since what seems like he was 6 months old. Ugh poor babe.
- He likes to crunch goldfish with his gums, and shake his sippy cup when it has ice in it because of the noises they make.
- Jaks has some sort of sensitivity to gluten, so he can’t eat very many goldfish.
- He tries to sing when he hears music
- Lately he fights sleep and has the exact same fit every night in attempt to postpone it
- He’s a mama’s boy at heart.
Despite the people that he felt kind of shy around, Jakson had the best time and got a new big boy plate set with a cup, spoon, fork and bowl. He also got a baby rocking chair to match mine, and a little push around car ❤ it’s hard not to spoil someone so dang cute! His favorite part of course was his spoon and cup, which he clanked together all day. I will never forget the love and happiness that was Jakson’s First Birthday, and we were so lucky to spend it with great friends.
slow down babe, you’re growing up too fast.